This landmark study is one of the first in the country to return clinically actionable results to study participants. This means your simple saliva sample can help you learn your genetic risks tied to heart disease and certain cancers, and what lifestyle changes can help reduce risk and detect
- Receive genetic sequencing from personal genomics company Helix and an ancestry report at no cost
- Can choose to be notified of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Tier 1 Genomic Conditions, which are clinically actionable hereditary conditions. Right now, the Project is returning results on Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer syndrome (BRCA1 & 2), Lynch syndrome (tied to endometrial and colorectal cancers) and Familial Hypocholesterolemia (linked to high cholesterol)
- Have an opportunity to choose one additional health, diet or ancestry app after completing a follow-up Project survey
Genetic Health Risk Results
Renown Institute for Health Innovation (IHI) will release results to participants who consented to be contacted about information IHI receives from your Helix genetic report that is important for your health.
Consenting participants who have a known pathogenic variant that can increase risk will receive a genetic report from an IHI clinical coordinator. Right now, these reports cover:
Approximately 1 in 250 people have a known pathogenic mutation on genes related to FH. Familial
Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome
Approximately 1 in 400 people have a known pathogenic mutation on HBOC genes. These are genes linked to hereditary risks for breast cancer in women and men as well as risks for ovarian and prostate cancer.
Approximately 1 in 500 people have
For those who consented to be contacted about future research and development opportunities with researchers from RIHI or other
As a thank you, you will receive a promotional code for your choice of another no-cost Helix app from the following list:
Genetic Apps you can use with your Helix Sequencing
You can choose what you learn from your Helix DNA kit data. The list below are the apps available with this project.
- DNAPassport by HumanCode
- EmbodyDNA by Lose It!
- MyTraits Sport by Intelliseq
- Metabolism, Neanderthal and Regional Ancestry by Insitome
- CarrierCheck by Sema4
- Fitness Diet Pro by DNAFit